Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Classics I Want to Reread!

Hey folks! It's Top Ten Tuesday and the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish gave us a freebie topic for today!

I decided to do a topic that I know I've done at some point in the past (and of course I can't find the post now that I'm looking for it). I've been really craving rereads of some of my favorite classics, so here are the top ten classics I want to reread right now. :)

(Side note: I noticed after creating this list that a lot of my PEL editions are featured....I didn't do that on purpose. But since I finally have the full set, it's fitting that I should read them all, right?)

In no particular order:


1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: I'm sure this is technically cheating because I started rereading it last week, but it jump-started my desire to reread some other old favorites, so here it is. :) I've only read Jane Eyre once before, and I was blown away by the experience. And I figured that since I loved it so much on the first read, it deserved another. I'm sure why I was drawn to it this time...comfort, maybe? But I'm about 100 pages in and loving it.


2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte: While we're talking about the Brontes....like Jane Eyre, I've only read this once (maybe twice...now that I'm thinking about it). And truthfully, this has been my least favorite since reading more by Charlotte and Anne. And I think it's time I give it another shot! I barely remember it, but I think a trip to the moors will be perfect when the fall weather sinks in...


3. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot: I have long loved George Eliot, but it has been a really long time since I've read any of her work (I think the most recent was Middlemarch a few years ago). This one has remained my favorite since I blogged about it, and it's another book that I think I can really sink into this fall as the weather turns.


4. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: I'm not sure why I WANT to reread this. I have long chronicled my love/hate relationship with Dickens, and this book is my arch-nemesis if I were to have one. But I think it's time to give it another shot. I was one of the first books I blogged about here, and that was almost 6 years ago! Time for another chance I think. :)


5. Emma by Jane Austen: After rereading Sense and Sensibility last month, I've been craving more Austen. And since I used to reread an Austen every Christmas season, I think I've settled on Emma for this year...unless I read....


6. Persuasion by Jane Austen: I think this might be my favorite Austen, but it's been awhile, so shouldn't I reread it to make sure? Ha! I do consider this one of my favorite covers in the PEL line. I love the colors and the gentleness of the design-it fits the book well.


7. My Antonia by Willa Cather (hey look! It's not a PEL!): Even though I read this one not that long ago, I still want to reread it. I'm sure that my old 9th grade English teacher would be proud that I now consider this one of my favorite books. But there's something about the colors and beautiful language...Cather just gets it. And it would help me kickstart my butt back into my Willa Cather Project!


8. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville: I consider reading and enjoying Melville's masterpiece one of my biggest accomplishments as a reader. And the fact that I consider it one of my favorites books? Yep, deserving of a reread. I actually wore my Moby-Dick necklace to school the other day, which sparked a conversation with a student about the book. And it just made me crave it in the worst way.


9. The Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder: These are childhood favorites, and the last time I read them was around the time we moved into this apartment (almost 5 years ago!). I saw a blog post somewhere talking about them....and then I started thinking about them...and now I want to pull them off the shelf.


10. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: Yep, I consider these classics. :) And who isn't up for a reread of Harry Potter? I'm actually toying with rereading them over my winter break (yep-I'm definitely thinking that far in advance). They're just so good.....and I know I can fly through them. ;)


So, what classics would you reread? Tell me below!

7 comments:

  1. I love Emma and would love to re-read Harry Potter! I'm less a fan of Jane Eyre but mean to reread one of these days. And I really want to read more George Eliot, I've never read Mill on the Floss so I'll have to put that on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must read My Antonia - STILL not read it!

    Oh, and Harry Potter.... I want to re-read them, but there's so many other books I want to read right now... I am tempted, though. If I knew I could just read the first book then leave it there for a while I would, but no, I'll read the whole lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every few years, I have to reread Jane Eyre. It's just so good!

    Ironically, Great Expectations is what convinced me to give Dickens another chance. Then I hated every other books by him. That's the *only* one I could stand, and I doubt I could stand it now if I reread.

    Persuasion ended up being my least favorite Austen, probably because Wentworth just seemed so controlling and manipulative, and I wanted Anne to kick him to curb. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the Little House books on the brain too! I hope when I get to them I'm able to read like a child instead of a lit student. :) Also, I just reread Jane Eyre! It's been my best read so far. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reread Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights this year (and finally got into the latter, which was a pleasant surprise). All the others are well worth the re-reading too -- I think I"m most drawn to My Antonia at the moment. I'd also love to read all the Cathers I haven't read yet, but I've only read that one once and would love to experience it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of these, except Withering Heights and Moby-Dick. I read The Mill on the Floss years ago in high school, but I think it was the wrong time. I really want to read it again next year and will probably include some sort of reread category in next year's Back to the Challenge Category.

    And I would reread all of Jane Austen and Jane Eyre, x1000. Which I probably will do. Also A Room with a View and Middlemarch, and Wives & Daughters. I think I might have to borrow this and write my own blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reread the Little House books a lot. Not as much the first five books, but I start with The Long Winter and go through The First Four Years. I do that probably every other year or so.

    ReplyDelete