Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Classics Spin! *w/edit!*

The Classics Club is hosting a "Classics Spin," where we make a list of 20 books off of our Classics Club list, wait for a number to be chosen, then make sure to read that book by the deadline (deadline is April 1)! I'm a little late to the game, since the number will be announced in the morning, but I'm sneaking in.

You can divide the books into categories to make the game more fun, or you can just list 20 titles. I decided to divide (mainly because of my crazy tendencies).

Here's my list!

4 Books I WANT to Read:
1. Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
2. Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
3. The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (book 5 in my Willa Cather project!)
4. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

4 Books I DON'T want to Read:
5. Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyon
6. Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
7. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
8. Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov

4 Books Matt Chose (based solely on title):
9. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
10. Enemy of the People by Henrick Ibsen
11. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
12. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

4 Books from my TBR Challenge:
13.Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
14. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
15. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
16. Remains of the Day by Kazou Ishiguro

4 Chunksters:
17. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson (because this would be a good push to finish it)
18. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
19. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
20. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding

There you have it! I'll update this post once the number has been picked so you can see what I'm stuck reading! :)

*edit*

The lucky number was 14, so I get to read the Angelou! I'm pretty excited about the book choice (especially that I'm not reading one of the chunksters), since it was a book I needed to get to at some point this year! Let me know what you ended up with according to the spin!

9 comments:

  1. There are some brave choices there : )
    The song of the Lark is on my spin list too. The House of Mirth was one of my fav reads of last year - and I love love love Hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like I've seen Pilgrim's Progress on a lot of lists (including my own)--and I think we're all afraid of it! It looks like you have a lot of good choices--I hope the pick will be one you really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope number 12 wins just because it is one of my favorites on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! You have lots of good stuff on your list so you really couldn't have gone (very) wrong. ;)

    Note: Pnin is not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got a really interesting list, and number fourteen is quite a good choice :) A book that I keep forgetting to add to my to-read list *adds now*. I hope it lives up to its fame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of the spin! I had to improvise a little by using a random number generator because I posted my list too late, but I will just pretend that counts.
    My chosen book is Catch-22 and like you I am quite excited (and relieved it isn't Moby Dick or Don Quixote;)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for not getting a chunkster! I got a delightfully slim novel too which has excited me no end. Enjoy Angelou :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I read Caged Bird just a couple months ago and was so surprised by how much I liked it. Also, I just got tickets to see Angelo speak in Indy next month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked Caged Bird, so good for you! And I think it's fairly short. My spin result is The Mystery of Mrs. Blencarrow by Margaret Oliphant, which is actually two short novellas. I'm looking forward to reading it (and glad that it's mercifully short, I had five chunksters as the free picks!)

    ReplyDelete