Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Charles.


Happy birthday Charles!

It seems as if the whole world is celebrating today, so I would feel a bit guilty if I didn't say anything. After all, this is a classics book blog. :)

I have a love/hate relationship with Dickens' work, but I am still learning more about him and his work. I actually started David Copperfield last night and I was immediately hooked. As evidenced by the painting above, Dickens has had a lasting impact on the world of literature. I am slowly discovering that world. I'm kind of glad that I have a lot of his work left to read.

Here is to his legacy lasting at least another 200 years. ;)

8 comments:

  1. David Copperfield is my favorite Dickens and one of my absolute favorite books of all times. It has the best characters! I hope it ends up on the "love" side of your Dickens relationship too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love David Copperfield! I think it's one of the most readable of the books of his that I've read, and I'm a sucker for the story. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to spread a little Dickens-love today (well, in fact I do that every day, but today I've got a good excuse) so please don't be bothered by my missionary zeal :)
    It's time to delete the "hate" from your love/hate relationship! Go and read A Tale of Two Cities, if you haven't already! Believe me, this is currently my favourite book and it had me both laugh out loud and sob within minutes.
    *swinging Sydney Carton flag*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore that painting. I am not a big Dickens fan, but I am glad that everyone is making such a big deal out of the celebrations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased to hear you're enjoying David Copperfield. Just wait -- it gets so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Copperfield. Now there is a book I need to reread. I read it when I was 8 years old! I have vague recollections and a few vivid images from that reading, and I remember liking it. But I really do need to read this one as an adult.

    ReplyDelete