Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Love Stories In Books.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. It is a fun, weekly meme where participants count down their favorite "top tens" in the given category for each week.

I don't participate every week, but only when the topic is really inspirational. And since I am home alone tonight (Monday night when I am writing this), and it is Valentine's Day, I'm getting all sappy (the husband is working late tonight).

This week's topic is "Top Ten Favorite Love Stories in Books" and I am really excited to see what you all picked as well! So if you feel inspired by all the love going around, participate!

Without further adieu, here is my top ten, in no particular order. :)

10. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice: I don't think any list is complete without these two. Their story, their struggle to come to terms with their own feelings, and that tension that bubbles just below the surface really hits on that early stage of love. When you're still all awkward and uncomfortable with one another. You know what I mean. ;)

9. Penelope and Odysseus from The Odyssey: Now, while Odysseus may have wandered in his 20 years away from home, Penelope didn't. She stayed true to her man and kept those pesky suitors at bay, all while waiting for her man to come home. She never knew for sure if he would, but she stayed faithful and true until the end. You have to respect her for that. She must have really loved him.

8. Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger from Harry Potter: If I have to pick one couple from the Harry Potter series to love, it has to be Ron and Hermione. I love the growth of their relationship as the books go on. They show how sometimes the people you least expect turn out to be perfect for you. And we all cheered when they finally realized it, didn't we?

7. Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler from Gone with the Wind: I am so glad I finally read this book last year and now I understand the love connection! While never truly romantic, this love story captures some of the nasty and unforgivable aspects of love. Full of drama and pain, their love affair really is a story for the ages (and you need to go read this. Don't wait like I did).

6. Daisy and Gatsby from The Great Gatsby: Again, probably not the most romantic love story, on her part. But he loves her, even years after he knew her. Everything he does is for her, to show her how he feels. It gets me every time he stands at the end of the dock and looks toward that green light.

5. George and Lucy from A Room with a View: This was one of the most surprising and wonderful reads of my current project, and I absolutely loved this story of going against convention. And I love that they did it without permission from everyone.

4. Beatrice and Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing: Hand's down my favorite Shakespearean comedy, these two and their banter just make me grin every time. They poke fun and tease, but under it all, you can sense the real emotion. And of course, the movie version is fantastic...even with Keanu Reeves. ;)

3. Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth from Persuasion: Oh, how I LOVE this grown-up love story. I was surprised by the more mature tone and the passion in that love letter (omg, the LOVE LETTER). Yes, this is a love story for the ages people!

2. Andromeda and Perseus from...Greek mythology: I have always loved the story of Andromeda. Because of her mother, she is chained and sacrificed to a sea monster. Perseus sees her, saves her, and eventually marries her. I love the heroics...and the monster. :)

1. Lily Bart and Lawrence Selden from The House of Mirth: Long known as one of my favorite novels, I love the heartache in this love story. It pulls at my emotions every time I read it. It makes me want to be a better wife and love Matt more for all he does for me. Tragic? Yes, but beautiful.

What are some of your favorite love stories? Any big ones I missed?

9 comments:

  1. There are so many great love stories in literature that we are all bound to have missed lots but i thoroughly enjoyed your list - especially Odysseus and Penelope as I had them on mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how everyone has included Gone With the Wind and Pride and Prejudice! I included Wuthering Heights, even though their kind of love is completely insane (almost as much as Cathy). You can see the rest of my list here:

    http://devouringtexts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you included Lily Bart and Lawrence Selden. When I finished the book it completely broke my heart - I just couldn't believe the way things turned out. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 10, 8, 7, 5, 4 and 3 are all favorites of mine. Love the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT choices! I've read most of these, but there are a few I just have to read now. Example: Anne Elliot and Capt Wentworth! How could I not try it after your endorsement?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially I agree with 10, 8, 5 and 3. Such amazing stories (although for me 10 and 3 would likely be reversed). Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a similar post on Monday, and Ron and Hermione and Anne and Captain Wentworth made my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I forget about The Great Gatsby?! That should have made my list too. Anyhow, I'm reading The Age of Innocence right now and after seeing The House of Mirth made your number 1 - and that description you gave it - I'm going to have to read it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, Ron and Hermione! Yes! A thousand times Yes :)

    ReplyDelete