Friday, June 11, 2010

Book 45: Gone with the Wind and Book Stats.

Title: Gone with the Wind
Author: Margaret Mitchell (1900-1949)
First Published: 1936

My Edition: Scribner Paperback (seen at left-isn't it a beautiful cover?)
Pages: 959

I have never read this and I haven't seen the movie. I know, I know, I am horrible, but I have never been interested in reading this for fun. Perhaps I just have this assumption that it is utter garbage, but now, researching it, I find that I might actually kind of love it (we will see).

I love the history of this novel-that it was groundbreaking and captures the essence of a time period in U.S. history that some would rather sweep under the rug. The South is always made out to be the bad guy in history books and novelizations of the time period, but the people who lived then loved their way of life and culture. They survived a lot of hardship that history books would rather gloss over than explain, and that has always been something that has bothered me about history education in America (that's a whole other rant).

In any case, I am looking forward to reading "the novel of the south" and seeing what I can find to love and hate in its pages. I don't really know what to expect, if anything. But I do have this gut feeling I am going to be sucked into its pages, know what I mean?

14 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I was in middle school, but now I look back on certain bits of it and just cringe (it's sooooooo racist). So I'll be curious to see what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book when I read it, but it has been awhile. Can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite books! I hope you continue to enjoy it. I also have an award for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun! I've never read this but have always wanted to. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a not very pretty cover copy of it. A Huge Mass Market Paperback and I hate reading those. I also worry about soooo racist aspects. But I hope that someday I'll convince myself to read it and I hope there is something about it I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, awesome!
    i want to read it so bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this last summer and absolutely adored it! Of course, it sort of ruined the movie for me ... I used to love it, but then I found out how much was left out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this last year having not seen the movie either, and I loved it. It was the best book I had read for a very long time. I can't wait to see what you think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read this as well. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy! I have been dying to read this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both the book and the movie! I saw the movie first, I think if I had done it the other way like Heather it would have ruined the movie for me as well. Since I was in love with the movie before reading the book, I can still love it. Have you read Vanity Fair? They are fairly similiar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never even seen the movie of this one...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in much the same boat as you until this year, when I finally decided I'd better read this novel/see this movie that 'everyone else but me has read'... I enjoyed it a lot and blogged about it back in March. I look forward to hearing about your impressions.
    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a wonderfully fun book! I have twisted several arms and gotten quite a few friends to read it and they've all really liked it, even the ones who were certain they were going to hate it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I always have! And the movie's a good adaptation. Pretty faithful, considering what they had to cut for time.

    ReplyDelete