Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of Four.

Like I said in my introduction to Sherlock Holmes, I am reading through all four novels, and all fifty-six short stories starring the famous detective. Rather than just skip around and read what I am feeling at the moment, I felt it was a better idea to read the novels and stories in order of publication. That way I can get to know Holmes and Watson as they develop.

I am also going to point out one more time that while I am reading all NINE books featuring Holmes, they are only counting as ONE title on my overall list. See my introduction for clarification.

The Sign of Four (I have also seen it as The Sign of the Four), is the second of the Sherlock Holmes novels, and the second large publication featuring the sleuth. Like the first novel, this gives more insight into the relationship between Holmes and Watson, his ever present side-kick.

I will tell you from the beginning that I loved this novel more than the first one, which I also rather liked. The mystery was complex and interesting, and the story didn't break away halfway through like it did in A Study in Scarlet.

You also have, for the first time, a female in distress, who seems to have captured the heart of our dear Dr. Watson. This really through me for a loop, since I always pictured the two men together, bonded for life. It seems as if a female enters somewhere, and I don't recall a female with Watson in later novels and stories that I have read. Interesting.

The novel itself seems a little spookier than the first, and also gives more graphic descriptions. Our female heroine lost her father at a young age mysteriously, and in the years since, has been informed via letter that she is heir to a large fortune. Whoever sent the letter then continues to send her one large a valuable pearl a year, until after 6 six years she is finally told to come and meet him face-to-face. This is where she employs the help of Holmes and Watson, and where Dr. Watson becomes smitten.

As she is filled in on the details of the treasure she is entitled to, a murder is discovered and the mystery unfolds rapidly.

I liked that the novel didn't break away like the first did, to give back story, but that the history was woven into the telling of tale to the characters. Doyle did a much better job of educating the reader AND Holmes at the same time, so that there remained a connective thread throughout the narrative. That definitely helped maintain the suspense.

One thing that I have come to love is how Holmes always outwits the police detectives and inspectors. So often the police detectives come to logical and obvious conclusions in the cases Holmes is also investigating. They obviously want to find the clear and reasonable answer, which I think is understandable. But Holmes always challenges himself to think outside the box and look at everything that might be a possibility. After all, that is why he is Sherlock Holmes.

The reader also learns about Holmes mastery of disguises in this novel. He shows the ability to transform himself into other identities to help investigate his mysteries, which is something I don't recall from my other readings of Holmes' stories.

I do need to talk about Dr. Watson for a moment. He is just as important as Holmes in these novels, since he is the narrator. He asks the questions we would ask, and says the things we are thinking, so he is a necessary part of the story in order for the Holmes novels to work as they do. However, like I said above, Watson became smitten with the female in distress (Mary Morstan) and eventually proposes to her at the conclusion of the novel (That it not really a spoiler. Watson has two wives throughout the Holmes series). I find Watson's little love interest, as a side story, irritating. I thought it distracted from the power of the mystery and that Watson was kind of a jerk for falling for this girl who just realized she may be heir to a treasure.

With that being said, I had no idea before reading the series that Watson gets married, let alone two times. I always had this impression that Watson and Holmes were inseparable friends who always remained together. But, just as we think we know a lot about them, they change on us!

Anyway, this was an incredibly enjoyable, and fast-paced mystery that I absolutely loved! These Sherlock Holmes novels are packed with action and suspense and are simply fun to read.

29 comments:

  1. Great review! I need to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea, reading through a series and what a choice! Fodder for next time perhaps. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also gong through his works in order of publication date. I've had a bit of a break since my last read, but I think next up is Hound of the Baskervilles. I'm excited about that one. I love the characterization of Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea of yours! For some reason I've always been intimidated by Sherlock Holmes. But after reading your review I think I might have to work past that and give him a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun, and how cool that you can already see the author improving on his style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm here from the Read-a-thon! This sounds like a lot of fun, I've always wanted to read the Sherlock Holmes books! Great job, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. Always good to have a little mystery in your day especially on a day like today. I'm from the read-a-thon also and sooner or later I'll get to Sherlock Holmes right now I'm reading books about newer characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read-a-thon here! Wow, I've owned Sherlock Holmes collected works for ages, my grandfather left them to me. Maybe I should get around to reading them, lol.

    Have fun getting to know Sherlock and Watson better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good!! I am here from the read-a-thon site also. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read a Sherlock Holmes (hangs head)....maybe for next year's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought about reading the Sherlock Holmes book, but after reading this review - I may just consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Sherlock Holmes, although I haven't read all of the SH stories. I like your idea of reading through them in order and following the progression of the characters and their background/development.

    I also love the premise of your blog. I am trying to read more classics as well.

    Oh well, back to my Readathon selection, but I'm going to have to hunt out my Sherlock Holmes collection to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I have never read a Holmes book, but I've been wanting too. Peter Abrahams has a series of books (Down the Rabbit Hole, Behind the Curtains, etch), featuring a young girl and amateur sleuth who loves to read Sherlock Holmes books. Glad Readathon brought me to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to read about Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never read a Sherlock Holmes book - I wouldn't have considered reading them in order to watch the characters develop - will have to keep that in mind. Holmes, for some reason, brings to mind winter and fireplaces - maybe I will look at him next fall!

    Happy reading today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever idea to read by date of publication! Good luck. I'm almost ashamed to admit I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books. One of these days.... :D

    I hope everything goes well with this personal challenge of yours. Enjoy, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never read Sherlock Holmes either. Maybe I should hang my head in shame too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an excellent idea for the thon! I really enjoyed reading your post - even though I'm guilty of it too, most people just post stats or very short reviews. Kudos to you for doing a proper post in the middle of your reading frenzy!

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge, and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love love love Sherlock Holmes - great reading selection - hope you are enjoying the readathon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I have this "the adventures and memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" book in my bookshelf, I think I really need to pick it up at some point.

    Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm from the read-a-thon! I bought my little brother (now not so little anymore) a complete collection of Sherlock Holmes when he was a kid, but he never ended up reading it, I don't think. Maybe I'll snaffoo it from him sometime soon to read!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea, I definitely think I will have to do the same at some point, maybe next read-a-thon? Very well written review, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great read and it was definatley a great review! :) Happy Reading today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never read any Sherlock Holmes, but I like the idea of reading them through in order. Sounds like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I still can't believe I only read my first SH last year...what I have been missing. You have got me wanting to at least read a couple of his stories today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really need to read more Sherlock Holmes, I think I've only read a couple of the actual stories, but love the character!

    Good Luck today in the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I love your thoughts on this! I've never read any Doyle, but I may very well have to put him on my list from what you've said about him. Good job, and keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous review! Sherlock Holmes is definitely a baller!

    ReplyDelete