Saturday, April 3, 2010

Book 34: Book Stats.

Title: Mrs. Dalloway
Author: Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
First Published: 1925

My Edition: Harcourt
Pages: 194

Other Works Include: The Voyage Out (1915), Night and Day (1919), Jacob's Room (1922), To the Lighthouse (1927), Orlando (1928), A Room of One's Own (1929), The Waves (1931), The Years (1937), Between the Acts (1941)

I have read quite a bit of Woolf's work. For my literary theory class in college, we read a few of her essays and I fell in love with her writing style. She is definitely a challenge and I think you either love her, or hate her. Her style is innovative and different from the "norm" so that throws a lot of people off when they first are exposed to her.

In addition to her essays, I have also read a few of her novels. My favorite that I have read by her so far is The Waves.

For my challenge I will be reading 5 pieces of Woolf's work: Mrs. Dalloway, Night and Day, A Room of One's Own, To the Lighthouse, and The Voyage Out and this is the first that I am reading for this challenge.

4 comments:

  1. I've read all of the ones you're planning on reading except for Night and Day. :) Let me know if you want to do a read--along for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was scared of Woolf for the longest time. Like you, I read her essays in college and LOVED them. Unfortunately, I also read her short stories and those didn't work for me at all, so I became convinced that I couldn't handle her fiction. I read Orlando earlier this year, though, and I loved it. And I'm reading Mrs Dalloway at the moment and I'm loving it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that I couldn't just pick up Woolf and read her but having read lots of her work (including essays and diaries) I have really grown to love her writing style

    Love your challenge, very ambitious

    flo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to read Woolf, but her work intimidates me. I am not sure I get her writing style. I think maybe I should try to read it with a companion on literature or something once..

    ReplyDelete