Friday, March 12, 2010

Book Questionaire!

I am feeling slightly lazy today as I just finished working 15 hours, so this is what I am reduced to. :) And hey, it is Friday after all!

I snatched this today from A Few More Pages.

Rules of this survey - no two answers can be the same book and all books must be fiction.

Book next to your bed right now: There are currently two books by my bed. The fiction book is Lord of the Flies by William Golding, which I will hopefully start tonight after finishing Alias Grace. The other book is my battered copy of Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman. I love Whitman and I find his words to be very soothing and inspiring.

Favorite series: Right now the series that sticks out most notably in my head is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, since I just recommended them to a friend. If I had to pick an absolute favorite, it would probably be a tie between the Harry Potter series and the Ender universe by Orson Scott Card.

Favorite book: I have a really hard time picking one, but I have to stand by Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, since it reaffirmed my love of reading.

The one book you would have with you if stranded on a desert island: Oh, this is probably the hardest question. I would probably take my Austen collection (all her novels in one volume).

Book/series you would take with you on a long flight: I would definitely take something I am scared of. Mainly because I hate flying and I can't sleep on planes, so I would have to read. Books that I am scared of right now include: War and Peace, Anna Karenina, and Moby Dick.

Worst book you were made to read in school: A tie. Either The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne, or Great Expectations by Dickens (*shudder*). Although, I have this hunch that when I reread The Scarlet Letter I am going to like it. I just know.

Book that everyone should be made to read in school: As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. It was definitely one of my all-time favorite novels in high school.

Book that everyone should read, period: I can think of many, but I really want to suggest reading The Odyssey by Homer. It inspired my blog and I find inspiration in it every time I read it. Plus, I really want to get an "Odyssey" inspired tattoo. :)

Favorite character: I love, just love, Mr. Darcy. He is unbelievably dreamy and I do swoon a little every time I read Pride and Prejudice. I also love the character of Death in The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. If Death was real, we would get along because we share a similar sense of humor.

Best villain: I have to go with Sauron from The Lord of the Rings, even though Saruman is pretty nasty as well. But that whole creepy eye thing does it for me. Also, I have to nominate every character from Wuthering Heights. I just finished it and every single character was a villan...and nasty.

Favorite concept series: Concept series?? Oh this is a hard one....Perhaps I'll just go with the Temeraire series (mainly because I can't think of anything else). I love the originality it brings to Fantasy.

Favorite invented world: I love Middle Earth and Narnia. I can't go wrong with either of those.

Most beautifully written book: Can I go back to Leaves of Grass even though it is poetry? I find such eloquence in Whitman's words and I so admire that. I wish I had poetry writing skills. I recently enjoyed the prose of Harriette Arnow's The Dollmaker and Willa Cather's O Pioneers. I guess you could say I like simple, old-fashioned beauty in language.

Funniest book: I laughed a lot reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It will remain a long-time favorite!


Feel free to participate or leave your own answers here!

4 comments:

  1. I hated Wuthering Heights!! I did however enjoy Great Expectations back when my Senior English teacher made us read it. I'm sure you will like the Scarlet Letter now...funny isn't it??? :)

    Your questionnaire was fun to read!!
    I loved Ender's Game too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitchhiker's Guide was absolutely hilarious!!It's my fav too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow I'll do this on OD, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewwww, Scarlet Letter...I will always loathe that book...

    ReplyDelete